CERVANTES-L Archives

Coloquio Cervantes

CERVANTES-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. Robert Lauer
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:16:45 -0500
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:10:01 -0500
From: Joseph V Ricapito <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Carroll Johnson
To: "A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>

Querido Roberto:
I got to know Carroll when I was a grad student at UCLA. He was finishing
his M.A. and I was in the Ph.D. program.
As it turned out we were interested in the same things, picaresca,
Cervantes and Conversos.  Our paths crossed many times over the years, and
I agree with Susana's very perceptive picture of him.  He was successful in
the sense that he was a very devoted scholar and a professional of the
first order.  Besides academic things we were friends, and I too enjoyed
his excellent sense of humor.  I think that the profession will miss him
and so will his many friends.  I extend my deepest sympathies to his family
over their loss.
Joseph V. Ricapito