CERVANTES-L Archives

Coloquio Cervantes

CERVANTES-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. Robert Lauer
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:25:45 -0500

>Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:31:23 -0400
>From: Frank Dominguez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Literatura y los programas académicos
>To: "A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>
>Dear Robert:
>
>I seldom participate in listserv discussions,
>but Nancy D'Antuono's comments (hi, Nancy!) have
>moved me to add my two cents. I agree that the
>preparation of today's students in every area of
>pre-18th century literature (and I am really a
>medievalista rather than a Cervantista) has
>become woefully inadequate. But, it is not their
>fault. It is ours for permitting programs to be
>streamlined to fit students' natural desire to
>concentrate on the modern to the exclusion of
>the older periods and for watering down the qualifying exams.
>
>In part, this was a reaction to pressure from
>the administration which, working from a
>business model, wanted student training
>accelerated so that they could complete their
>MA/PhD in 5 years. But, what seemed fine for
>English, because they could build on a solid
>undergraduate background, or History, because it
>did not have language problem, was and is a
>disaster for us in language and literature
>departments. The upshot is that we are
>graduating a generation of students that do not
>realize that they are hopelessly unprepared.
>
>Today, I sat on a good dissertation on feminine
>writing as a coping mechanism for loss. However,
>the candidate could not answer how writing had
>been conditioned by loss from time immemorial.
>Perhaps I was wrong in asking, but before, any
>student worth his or her salt could have
>anticipated a question such as mine, even if
>their main concern was the application of Cixous's theories.
>
>The answer is to insist that students have a
>good background in every period (I too am
>grateful to Glaser!), that their qualifying
>exams cover all periods, and that we do not hire
>faculty who are so deficient in the earlier
>periods, that they do not see the value of a
>rounded preparation or can participate fully in
>the discourse of a department. This last is
>particularly critical, because the person you
>hire today will be making decisions about
>programs in the not too distant future.
>
>Frank Dominguez

Prof. A. Robert Lauer
The University of Oklahoma
Dept. of Modern Langs.,  Lits., & Ling.
780 Van Vleet Oval, Kaufman Hall, Room 206
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-2032, USA
Tel.: 405-325-5845 (office); 405/325-6181 (OU
dept.); Fax: 1-866-602-2679 (private)
Vision: Harmonious collaboration in an international world.
Mission: "Visualize clearly and communicate promptly"
<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/vita.html>VITA
/ <http://www.peterlang.com/all/>IBÉRICA
/<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/AITENSO.html>AITENSO
/ <http://www.ou.edu/bcom/>BCom /