CERVANTES-L Archives

Coloquio Cervantes

CERVANTES-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Alain Saint-Säens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:59:54 EDT

It seems to me that a book review should not be a means to HURT the author
of the increminated book -- kill his/her career; damage his/her scientific
reputation; take a personal revenge; have a shot at the press that did not
accept to publish your 'great' book; etc. -- but a place to show the
challenging, pioneering, aspect of this book.

I am sure there was another way to present the good things about the book
of Mercedes Agulló without demeaning her in such a despicable manner. We do
not need inquisitors in our field of studies, we need mentors, guides,
visionnaries, who will make us all feel better thru their enlightened comments.
After reading a solid, constructive, positive, review of a book, I personally
feel more knowledgeable. After reading THAT one, I felt disgusted and
ashamed as a fellow scholar.

Alain Saint-Saëns