HABITAT-L Archives

habitat-l

HABITAT-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Clint Givens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:07:00 -0500
1.  (Stephanie Huey, President) Shack-a-Thon went wonderfully.  Thanks to all who participated!  We raised just under $4,000.

2.  (Stephanie still) New OU Habitat T-shirts are on the way--we'll have signups at upcoming meetings for those interested.  You may want to try to bring $10 to the next meeting so you can pay for your shirt in advance.  We won't order a shirt for anyone who hasn't pre-paid.

3.  (Clint Givens, Secretary) Game Day Paint Cans scheduled for this Saturday before Texas Tech.  [Editor's note: Game Day Paint Cans didn't happen because hardly anyone showed up.]

4.  (Emily Comstock, Vice President) OUHFH will be participating in Collegiate Challenge this coming Spring Break.  We will travel somewhere in the U.S. (possibilities: Seattle, Hawaii, Kansas City, Taos,... some are more expensive (Hawaii, Seattle) and we won't know for sure what we get until later) and spend the week building on a Habitat home there.  The catch is, registration is due Oct. 16!  So be thinking if you might be interested in this--for more info, contact Emily Comstock, [log in to unmask]

5.  (Kelly Wong, Treasurer) Trick-or-Change is coming back this Halloween = Oct. 31!  Before then, we are going to distribute fliers to neighborhoods telling them about it, and we may ask for your help on that.  Stay tuned!

6.  (Kirtan Nautiyal, Membership/Education Chair) In our new educational segment of the meeting, Kirtan spoke briefly on some common misconceptions about Habitat for Humanity.  His main points were that 1) Habitat for Humanity does not give houses to homeless people; rather, HFH builds decent, affordable homes for those living in low-income, poverty housing.  2) Although Jimmy Carter does do a lot to promote Habitat for Humanity, he did not found Habitat for Humanity; a man named Millard Fuller did.

7.  (Josh Bradt, Social Chair) We're going bowling, guys!  The date is set for Thursday, Oct. 21 (the meeting agenda says Oct. 14, which is incorrect).  The cost is only $6 / person, which covers 2 hours of glow bowling AND shoes!  That is a good deal for glow bowling, so we hope you can make it out there and bring some friends!

8.  (Scott Butcher, PR Chair) The PR Committee needs more members!  To sign up, email Scott Butcher at [log in to unmask]  PR Committee will be spearheading the Trick-or-Change neighborhood flier distribution thingie.  And, booth days are returning once again!  We will have a booth in the Union wherein we sell our infamous T-shirts, get people's emails, have them give us money, etc.  We are doing it on the following days from 11-3pm: Wed. Oct 13, Thu. Oct 21, Wed. Oct 27, Thu. Nov 4, Wed. Nov 10, Thu. Nov. 18, and maybe some more after that too.  To sign up for those, also email Scott.  (There will always be an officer there to keep you company/answer the difficult questions.  ("What is life all ABOUT, really?"))

Your belated Secretary,
Clint