OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Yasvir Tesiram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:25:27 -0500
Hi,
I may have missed some earlier correspondence on this and from what I
gather, you want to move a mountain to build another mountain. Two ways
spring to mind. I assume you are unixified.

1. mount a file system for the scsi device via mount /dev/scd?? <mount
point> on machine 1. OK, this is vague. You will need to fiddle to find
an entry in /dev that will work.

2. The other easier method is via ethernet and a cross-over cable.
        o You will need to manually change your network settings temporarily.
Choose an IP address for machine 1., e.g. 128.250.58.177.
        o Set the other machine IP address to 128.250.58.178. Just make sure
the domain part matches.
        o subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
        o The target machine should be set up to allow remote connections etc.
        o ftp, rsync, or rcp from machine 1 to 2.

Method 2 will also work for Windoze and computers with real OS's.I have
a cross over cable here. You are most welcome to borrow it.

Cheers
Yas

On Jul 7, 2004, at 10:02 AM, Jerrod Howard wrote:

> OK, I will finally be able to rebuild the Imaging1 array into a more
> manageable setup, but I want to be able to move all the data off of it
> Imaging5 for protection before I resize and combine arrays. Besides
> network
> transfers (at 500gig that will take awhile), can I utilize the U320
> SCSI
> cards in a peer-to-peer fashion for a quicker (and more stable) file
> transfer? Both server have the U320 external connectors and I have the
> cable, but I've never heard of setting up a connection like this
> before. Any
> ideas as to feasibility or other ideas to move 500gig in less than a
> few
> days via gigabit? I have a tape backup, but it would mean me setting
> up new
> profiles and messing with Veritas which is running pretty well for now
> and I
> don't want to mess with a good thing heh. Thanks all.
>
> Jerrod Howard
> OMRF Imaging Facility

Yasvir Tesiram
PostDoctoral Fellow
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
Free Radical Biology and Ageing Research Program
825 NE 13th Street, OKC, OK, 73104

P: (405) 271 7126
F: (405) 271 1795
E: [log in to unmask]