OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Alan Shields <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:03:58 -0600
Courier IMAP is good, along with Cyrus.

Courier is good for user-oriented mail (ie every username/password has one and
only one email account [not address, account]), while Cyrus is better for
other situations.

Cyrus is a closed system (ie it has its own folders under /var where all email
is stored), whereas Courier stores its email in user's folders (though it can
be configured otherwise).

We use Courier, though we may be going over to Cyrus pretty soon as there
is some goofiness with people needing access to multiple mailboxes (example:
secretary needs [legitimate ;-) ] read access to boss's email, IT group needs
access to IT email, etc, etc).

It's pretty easy to move between them, though, with proper use of fetchmail
and some other tools.

Alan