OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Jerrod Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:28:10 -0500
No I'm not unixified...heh

More than likely I will just do it over a switch I have here in the office
over the weekend. It is two windows systems (2000 server and 2003 server
that house all of OMRF's imaging files for all the imaging facility users,
so I have to make sure everything is double and triple protected. I can't
rsync since it's windows based, without going through a lot of hoopla with
Cygwin (which I could do but by the time I had it figured out I could have
done it the hard way) ;) The 2000 server is an adaptec 2200S attached to a
10 drive RAID5 array, the 2003 server is a 2200S attached to a 10 drive
1.2TB RAID5 array. They both have external connections, but since both are
mounted by their own cards, I didn't think you could.

The whole reason for this is we got a new tape backup system that will do
600gig, which will cover our whole imaging server. Right now we have 4
partitions of 60 gig so we can fit each array on one tape for full backups.
Now I can get them all in one tape, but on two of the arrays, I need to
expand them since they are filling up so fast, and a few others I need to
shrink. Before I start tampering with the array though, I'm going to do full
backups on tape as well as copy over to a new server, then blowout and
rebuild it into one array (for both my sanity and for administration
purposes on my end). I have a gigabit switch in the office that I'll just
drop between them and get it rolling on saturday and come up on Sunday and
get the array done. I'll have it all on tape as well as doing an integrity
check on the data moved. Then move it all back and be done with it (I hope).

At any rate, thanks all for the comments and help.