OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Danny G Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:46:44 -0500
Jerrod Howard wrote:

>OK, I don't mean to open a flame war or anything, but I am building up a
>machine to do beta testing on our calendar and some other graphical analysis
>programs on (STL viewers and converters, PLY builders, etc). Right now, we
>run Debian 3.0 on our calendar, but it is *very* sparse (mini-OS and Apache
>to house our calendar).
>
>I was wondering what OS you would recommend (which Linux version) that is
>the most stable, while allowing for a good GUI engine to manage the graphics
>aps? I know SuSE, Mandrake (which I know pretty well), and RedHat, and I
>will probably try them both out (since while I'm testing I can blow out the
>machine at will), but are there some others you have experience with that
>you know to be pretty easy to install and run very stable? It will house the
>OS, apache (or some web server), FTP server, and some graphics apps. Thanks
>
>Jerrod Howard
>Core Imaging Facility

I use SuSE linux heavily for the desktop workstation, and on a backup
servers.  I gave up on RedHat years ago.  I have heard good coments on
Gentoo linux, but I have not tried it.  I have seen where Debian has a
beta graphics installer out, and has a new version coming out in a month
or so.

thanks,
Danny