OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Jerrod Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:49:42 -0600
I ran a business on the side, OKC Office Solutions, for extra cash when I
was teaching, and to a certain extent I still do it. All my customers sign a
contract that states in no uncertain terms I am not responsible for any of
their data when doing hardware support or general desktop support (aka
spyware, malware, software installations, etc). Rates for general desktop
support and trouble shooting was $35 for the service call and $25 an hour
on-site, or $15 an hour off-sit (aka my house). So the first hour would
usually be $60 with every hour after that being $25.

Any data recovery has a similar contract that I had above, with the $35
service call and $50/hour on-site or $25/hour off site. Any critical data
recovery, which meant me hooking the drive up to a separate computer and
off-loading it to another hard drive or DVD was a $250 flat charge up to
160GB. One time I couldn't get the hard drive to get accessed and I sent it
off to another company, where they paid almost $2000 to get it back heh.
They should have listened to me when I said they needed a backup system.
They have one now.

Web page work was a falt $35/hour rate with a $50 consultation. I resold
hosting space through a company I knew to be excellent, and did all the
management, but didn't make any money from the hosting. Just $35/hour, 1
hour minimum (that means if they get a new phone number, $35 usually unless
I liked them heh).

I actually started making some really decent money with it while I was
teaching (getting off at 3:15 helped alot), and thought about trying to do
it full time, but then I started working at OMRF, and I didn't have time for
alot of work. I still have ~10 regular clients, but not near as much work as
I used to get.

Jerrod