OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Kelsey Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:02:32 -0500
In a word, no.

You can use MSN Messenger but as far as I am aware, it is only
compatible with other MSN Messenger clients and dependent on MSN's
servers. You probably want to do standard H.323 (or possibly SIP) IP
videoconferencing. This way you can conference with any H.323 clients
including any number of PC based and turnkey videoconferencing systems.

Polycom PVX <http://polycom.com/products_services/1,,pw-7953,00.html> is
a software only (BYO PC & USB cam) example of a quality desktop H.263
application with file transfer, security, etc. features. For a few more
bucks they also sell a desktop product that includes a camera.

my .02,
Kelsey