OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Alan Shields <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:45:14 -0500
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:02:07AM -0500, Jerrod Howard wrote:
> OK, I will finally be able to rebuild the Imaging1 array into a more
> manageable setup, but I want to be able to move all the data off of it to
> Imaging5 for protection before I resize and combine arrays. Besides network
> transfers (at 500gig that will take awhile), can I utilize the U320 SCSI
> cards in a peer-to-peer fashion for a quicker (and more stable) file
> transfer? Both server have the U320 external connectors and I have the
> cable, but I've never heard of setting up a connection like this before. Any
> ideas as to feasibility or other ideas to move 500gig in less than a few
> days via gigabit? I have a tape backup, but it would mean me setting up new
> profiles and messing with Veritas which is running pretty well for now and I
> don't want to mess with a good thing heh. Thanks all.

It is possible to do this, yes. SCSI can have multiple controllers.
You'll want to make sure you unmount the filesystem on Imaging1 before
Imaging5 sees it.

You'll also need to make sure you do not have conflicting SCSI IDs.

However, even at 500G, a network transfer is feasible. It will take
about a day on the 100BT network. I suggest an rsync between the two
(and re-run it afterwards) to make sure you're bit-for-bit the same on
the two copies.

We backed up 980G across the network not TOO terribly long ago. It did
take a while, but it goes unattended. And if you transfer it via rsync,
if it ever chucks a wobbly you can restart it and not lose your place.

I'd go for the network transfer, honestly. Less to go wrong.

Alan