OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Alan Shields <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:23:24 -0600
On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 04:06  PM, Quyen Arana wrote:

> Alan,
>
> OK. I want the Jabber server. With Internet down, I want to be able to
> IM within the domain.
>
> What can I do to help with this? And does anyone else want to
> contribute?
>
> Quyen

Right now I'm messing with User Mode Linux. Once I get that up and
running, I can set up as many services as we want. I'm close, I just
need to patch a kernel on my server, and that requires a reboot (there
goes 91 days of continuous uptime...).

The first service I'll set up is the timeserver, as that's the easiest,
and  easy to verify that it is working.

After that, it'll probably be the Wiki (which won't be much work), and
then Jabber.

As for what you can do to help...let me get the basics up and running,
then we'll see. The biggest thing anyone can do is help provide
opinions. For the Wiki, that would be an opinion on which Wiki you like
better: TWiki or WikkiTikkiTavi (I'll set up both and let people play
with them). For Jabber that would be finding a Jabber client that
you're willing to put up with, and learning it so you can teach others.
Once the Wiki we've decided upon is up and running, helping would
involve helping put out the information for others to get on the
different services.

If anyone on the Mac side would like to look into what protocol is used
by X and 9 to synchronize time, and how to change those time servers on
X and 9, I'd be grateful. I'd analyze the network traffic myself, but
I'm busy right now. I'll get to it eventually, but eventually isn't
necessarily "soon".

Oh, if I need DHCP static assignments and some DNS addresses, to whom
should I speak? I was told at the meeting, and I've slept since then.

Alan