OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Alan Shields <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:50:15 -0500
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:25:27AM -0500, Yasvir Tesiram wrote:
> I assume you are unixified.

I'd prefer we kept medical discussions off list. I mean, what difference
does it make if....

Oh, right.

Yeah.

> 1. mount a file system for the scsi device via mount /dev/scd?? <mount
> point> on machine 1. OK, this is vague. You will need to fiddle to find
> an entry in /dev that will work.
>
> 2. The other easier method is via ethernet and a cross-over cable.
>        o You will need to manually change your network settings temporarily.
> Choose an IP address for machine 1., e.g. 128.250.58.177.
>        o Set the other machine IP address to 128.250.58.178. Just make sure
> the domain part matches.
>        o subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
>        o The target machine should be set up to allow remote connections
>        etc.
>        o ftp, rsync, or rcp from machine 1 to 2.
>
> Method 2 will also work for Windoze and computers with real OS's.I have
> a cross over cable here. You are most welcome to borrow it.

Not sure how the networking people would feel about it, but I'd do the
transfer through the wall jacks. With a crossover cable you don't get
duplex, and that makes a big difference on large transfers. Either a
private switch (not a hub) or the wall jacks.

Just an aside,
Alan