OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OU Amateur Radio Club <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2015 23:23:43 -0600
Thanks to our generous alumni, Micheal Salem, N5MS, the OU Radio Club now
has use of a DMR repeater!  DMR, Digital Mobile Radio, is an ETSI standard
that encodes voice into a 6.25 kHz wide digital stream.  It then puts two
streams into a 12.5 kHz channel using two TDMA time slots.  The repeater
itself is connected via the internet to a network of other repeaters,
worldwide, meaning that from your DMR HT, you can talk to other hams pretty
much anywhere the DMR network goes.

I hear some of you saying, "Gee, Peter, isn't that like the D-STAR repeater
we already have?"  "Yes, yes it is.  Almost exactly," I answer.

D-STAR is a JARL standard that uses a slightly different vocoder and
doesn't use TDMA but otherwise works the same way (connection over the
internet to other hams in other countries).  DMR is a commercial standard,
so some stuff has been "bent" by enterprising hams to do things more to our
liking.

And no, D-STAR and DMR don't work well together.  Yet.

The upside is that you can get a DMR radio for <$150.  So there's that.  :-)

Feel free to tune in to 443.825 MHz, but unless you have a DMR radio (or
are clever with an SDR) you'll only hear digital data.

More on DMR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio
http://www.dmr-marc.net/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYT-Tytera-MD-380-UHF-Analog-Digital-DMR-Radio-USB-cable-Software-US-Seller-/301801103374
?

If you see Mike or hear him on the air, thank him!

73,
Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
College of Architecture, Regional and City Planning, MRCP '16