OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Judson Ahern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judson Ahern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:39:07 -0500
Tonight at 7 we have our on-the-air meeting: all are welcomed to listen and
licensed hams (club members or not) are encouraged to participate.

We have a problem, that we can look at as an opportunity:

146.88- is hard to hit because of desense, but the output signal is good.
This means if people can hear a weak signal "direct" (use the reverse
button), you could relay their info if you are able to get into the
repeater. When answering a question, please REPEAT THE QUESTION, because
people may not have heard the first station. [This is also important in HF
nets because often local hams can't hear each other but can hear distant
stations.]

We may want to have our strongest station do frequent relays. I'm assuming
our esteemed leader, Robin KC0BSC, is net control op unless a change is
required. If she's in a bad position, someone else could assume control.
However, being a member of Boy Scours of Canada (only way I can remember her
call), I'm sure she will Be Prepared. ;-)

Normally we could switch to 147.06 SCARS repeater, and they have agreed to
that. Unfortunately, last news I have is that the east-side receiver (see
attached map), + offset, is not operational and the west-side receiver (see
attached map), - offset, is not working well. People on campus. though, may
be able to hit the - offset as it is on the press box.

We'll just have to see which repeater works best. I see this as an
opportunity because we can try to do as well as we can and look for ways to
improve.

One suggestion I should have mentioned earlier: If you are portable, get
somewhere high and ~in sight of a receiver. If you are mobile, likewise. If
you are using an HT, you probably know a rubber ducky is slightly better
than a dummy load. 19" of coat hanger wire might serve you better if you can
get a connector arrangement. An excellent antenna for HTs is a TV twin-lead
pole [you can roll up into your pocket and deploy by taping the top up high
on your wall!]   Next meeting I could bring plans and show you all one. I
might even have some twin-lead (needs to be non-foam-filled variety).

Remember, necessity is a mother...
73,

Jud W5JA
--