OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Kim Elmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:26:26 -0600
After a bit of sleuthing, I've learned a bit more about the antenna
itself. I'm still awaiting time in my schedule to call Fluid Motion
(makers of the SteppIR antenna) to learn specifics. However, in all
likelihood, the rubber seals at the base of the fiberglass radomes that
seals the joint between the radomes and the stepper motors and tapes,
have deteriorated. These will all have to be replaced; they then need
additional protection from the elements using heat-shrink tubing and
copious application of UV-resistance electrical sealing tape (Scotch 33
or 88 tape) and UV-resistant ty-wraps.. It's possible that one or both
of motor/tape units will need replacement at about $300 each. Assuming
the worst, that's $600 for new parts and probably another $100 for new
seals. One radome is lost and needs replacement, but I don't know what
that will cost. These are not simply tubes because they contain a track
in which the tapes run; I'll guess $150 but will have a more accurate
figure soon.

If we choose to sell and replace this antenna with something else that
covers the HF spectrum form 13-30 MHz, it would have to be a log
periodic design. Tennadyne is a respected name and an antenna close to
the characteristics of what we have will cost about $1100.

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP
WX5NWC Trustee

--
Kim Elmore, Ph

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP
SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." – Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it
doesn’t matter who said it./