From:
"Becky Lentz, Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Lentz, Dr.
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 11:41:59 -0400
Thanks Arne for alerting us to this! And yes, preposterous, but not
surprising given whatıs been going on in other areas like this for some time
now, i.e., ³how corporations misuse copyright and trademark law to stifle
creativity and free speech² - http://www.brandnamebullies.com/. See also
http://www.bollier.org/category/tags/copyright-law. The popular music side
of the IP issue has gotten lots of attention from media scholars, but not so
much this dimension, yet. Maybe this is the kind of wake up call that we
often need about policy stuff that seems unimportant/irrelevant/or just
downright boring until it hits our own door.

Teaching this stuff helps a lot as students take up activism once they get
the bug. Iıve been using Bollierıs book in my undergrad course for 3 years
now and even though itıs somewhat out of date and has an American slant,
students seem to take to it if you want to pass it on:
http://www.silenttheft.com. Also, a video to be aware of is from Consumers
International, a project Iım researching and also doing evaluation work for:
http://a2knetwork.org/film. Theyıve also produced a handbook, which I highly
recommend circulating: http://a2knetwork.org/handbook. French and Spanish
versions are available.

For those new to this stuff, groups to consider joining or linking to are
http://ipjustice.org/, http://www.digitalrights.dk/, http://www.eff.org/,
http://a2knetwork.org/forum,
http://www.boell.de/economysocial/economy/economy-commons-10451.html,
http://www.keionline.org.

Cheers,
Becky
--------
Roberta G. (Becky) Lentz, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Art History and Communication Studies, McGill University
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Arts Building, W-265
Montreal, QC Canada H3A 2T6
http://www.mcgill.ca/ahcs/faculty/lentz/