From:
Verena Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verena Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2014 07:52:03 +1000

Dear OURMedia list members,

Only a couple of days to go until the final abstract submission deadline for OURMedia X conference ‘DIVERSE COMMUNITIES, DIVERSE MEDIA’ in Papua New Guinea from 21-25 July 2014. (We are still accepting abstracts all of this week)

Thanks to those who have submitted their abstracts already. We are in the process of putting together an exciting program with discussions, workshops, academic presentations, fieldtrips, screenings and exhibitions.

I would like to update you on some of our planned activities. Our draft program will be available around mid May.

·       For five days, OURMedia X will offer a unique opportunity to be immersed in indigenous approaches that range from indigenous uses of media technologies to communication research based on indigenous methodologies. According to Clemencia Rodríguez: “the minute I finished reviewing abstracts for OM X, I booked my ticket to PNG. OURMedia X will be such a unique opportunity to truly see what it means to think and do indigenous, to think media policy in indigenous terms, to use media according to the needs and values of indigenous communities, to de-colonize research design.”

·       Local keynote speakers include social media activist Emmanuel Narokobi, Papua New Guinean blogger and social media expert, Prof Michael Mel, performance artist, curator and lecturer, and currently Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic & Innovation) at the University of Goroka, and John Doa, Director of the Raun Raun Theatre, a theatre group that engages youth in cultural and creative activities while addressing contemporary issues.

·       One of the conference sessions will be held in the community of Okiufa involving local artists and community groups. A day of fieldtrips to local communities will provide opportunities to get an insight into current life in Papua New Guinea, exploring topics such as Indigenous uses of media technology, local approaches to development and social change, local discussion of human rights, disability, and agriculture.

·       Key speakers from the OURMedia network Clemencia Rodriguez and Alfonso Gumucio Dagron will introduce the latest debates around activist social media, alternative and citizen’s media.

·       The conference will include film screenings from PNG, the Pacific and the world. This will for example include a screening of a film series Pawa Meri, directed by emerging Papua New Guinean filmmakers about inspiring women, and films from Vanuatu around issues such as climate change or gender. OURMedia X will also showcase a number of exhibitions by local and international artists exhibiting paintings and photographs, including a project that examines cross-generational relationships by combining archival photographs with contemporary paintings and a photo voice project by people living with HIV.

·       The conference will include workshops on areas such as social media and video for change, as well as other practical applications in regards to media practice.

The conference will bring together over 100 South Pacific Island scholars, artists, media activists, practitioners as well as institutions and organisations working in the area of community and alternative media, and communication for social change.

Please contact us via [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for any further information and find below some practical information on the conference which can also be accessed via www.ourmedia-networg.org<http://www.ourmedia-networg.org>

The OURMedia conference at the University of Goroka is a unique event in the Pacific and we look forward to welcoming you at the conference in July!

Regards, Verena

(on behalf of the OM2014 Organising Committee)

CONFERENCE INFORMATION

REGISTRATION
Registration for the conference is via the OURMedia website (www.ourmedia-network.org). To register, please download and fill in the registration form, and email it to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
The conference fee for the week is AUD 150 (approx. US$135 or 100 Euro) for registration before 30 May 2014. The registration fees cover conference pass and kit, meals at the conference and a ticket to the opening of the conference to be held on Sunday evening, 20th of July 2014.

TRAVEL to PNG
You can find information in regards to travel on the OURMedia website (http://www.ourmedia-network.org/?page_id=108)
Please note the following important information:
Many international travel sites (such as Expedia and others) will come up with high prices when typing in Port Moresby as a destination. It is much cheaper to book the flight to Port Moresby directly via the airlines that fly there (Air Niugini, Qantas or Virgin Blue). Travel websites are used best to get from your city of origin to Sydney or Brisbane, Australia or to Bali, Indonesia. Separate flights need to be purchased from these cities to Port Moresby, and then to Goroka. We are happy to assist and advise on your travel bookings.

ACCOMMODATION
We have listed a number of accommodation options on our website (http://www.ourmedia-network.org/?page_id=108). We advise you to fill out the accommodation and arrival form and the OURMedia organising team will assist you with you accommodation booking.

VISA INFORMATION
Please see the OURMedia website (http://www.ourmedia-network.org/?page_id=162) for information on visa. Please note that some passport holders are eligible toobtain a visa on arrival, whereas others will need to apply for a visa in advance. Please email us should you require further information. We can also provide an official invitation letter to the conference if required.

—————————————————————
Verena Thomas, PhD
Director, Centre for Social and Creative Media
School of Humanities | University of Goroka
PO BOX 1078 | Goroka EHP 441
Papua New Guinea
P: +675 5311 858
W: www.cscm-uog.org

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.