From:
Marilu Villachica <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilu Villachica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:30:03 -0500
VERSION EN ESPANIO EL CORREO SEPARADO

The following email is sent by request from Nick Couldry

*PARADIGM PUBLISHERS*

*Listening Beyond the Echoes*

*Media, Ethics, and Agency in an Uncertain World*

*Nick Couldry*

In this book Nick Couldry, media and cultural theorist from the London
School of Economics, asks what are the priorities for media and cultural
research today—at a time of the intensified mediation of all fields of
social life, threats to democratic legitimacy, and serious instability on
the global political stage.

The book calls for a 'decentered' media research that rejects easy
assumptions about media's role in holding societies together and instead
looks more critically at the difference media make on the ground to the
material conditions of our lives. In what detailed ways do media transform
knowledge and agency in daily life? How do media contribute to the culture
of democratic politics (if we still have one)? And, most difficult of all,
how can we live, ethically, with and through media? In what detailed ways do
media transform knowledge and agency in daily life? How do media contribute
to the culture of democratic politics (if we still have one)? And, most
difficult of all, how can we live, ethically, with and through media?

Couldry's previous work is well known for its breadth, ranging across media
sociology, media theory and cultural theory. Here he draws also on political
theory and ethics to develop a tightly-argued account of how media and
cultural research must now *reorientate *itself if it is to remain relevant
and critical, at a time when our chances of living well together, while
acknowledging profound differences of value and worldview, are under new
threat.

*Nick Couldry *teaches Media, Communications, and Culture at the London
School of Economics and Political Science.

ARPIL 2006, 6″ × 9″, 184 pages1-59451-235-3 (hc), $671-59451-236-1 (pb),
$26.95, Forthcoming August 2006 *BISAC *SOC026000

* *

*Order Information:*

*Toll free ordering: 1-800-887-1591FAX orders: 1-703-661-1501Orders in
Virginia: 703-661-1592*

*Mail orders to: Paradigm Publishers P.O. Box 605Herndon, VA 20172-0605*

*Returns *in clean and saleable condition, with invoice information, will be
accepted as long as the edition is in print. Send returns with invoice,
information to: *Paradigm Publishers (Returns)22883 Quicksilver Drive Dulles,
VA 20166*

Please provide your street address. We cannot ship to a P.O. Box.

Name

Department

Institution

Address

City State ZIP

Phone E-mail

Title

Qty Unit Price

Less 15 % Discount

Subtotal

VA residents add 4.5% Sales Tax

Postage and Handling:$5.00 for the first book, $1.00 for each additional
book

Total

Check enclosed (please make checks payable to Paradigm Publishers).

Please charge my credit card: MasterCard VISA AMEX

Card No. Expiration Date

Signature Date

For more information visit: www.paradigmpublisher.com