From:
Marilu Villachica <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marilu Villachica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:30:07 -0500
ESTA ES UNA TRADUCCION DEL MENSAJE DE Arturo E. Bregaglio DE Director FM
Trinidad 90.1 PARA LA LISTA DE NUESTROS MEDIOS, ENVIADO ORIGINALMENTE EN
ESPANOL...

(Message originally from Arturo E. Bregalio... translated to english)

Thank you Sergio for bringing us closer to this issues, and thank you also
Clemencia and everyone else who contributed -- all through the years -- with
their ideas and energy.

I believe that the tension that Sergio speaks about is a real one, but there
are others and, I personally stand from my experience in citizens' radio and
--since two years ago – articulated with ICTs.  We are part – as maybe many
of you do – of several groups and networks where we can't seem to agree on
how to group the alternative, how to add it (it has been over 50 years since
the first community radio experience in Bolivia), how to purify it from the
nonsense and vain entertainment hegemony, in such way that we can increase
its value, so that we can go from being alternative, to ser alternatives to
social, cultural, and economic conditions of our communities.

Regarding the structures, I believe there is a long way to go, on the good
and the bad – why deny it.  Our networks have ended -- more than once --
entangled in the same vices that brought us together, and when we finally
agreed, they started to detangle, to fragment y to start again.

This, I think, is one of the challenges –- not the only one though --, but
when do we stop from *starting*?  When we start to gather what we've gone
through and this requires greatness, tolerance, indifference, happiness for
other's successes, and to nurture as Eduardo Galeano said in Bolivia when
Evo Morales assumed presidency: "The courage of hope".  It requires us to
acknowledge, recognize and see ourselves in the other, so on and so forth,
as well as getting out of this circle, where we have been taught not to
trust the other is easily said, and probably done, but it represents a twist
to human nature, but hey, we are ultimately dealing with the future of the
network, and that is what it is all about: to find new paths.

Globalization has also given us some examples that we cannot let go without
taking advantage, examples that 10 years ago we could not even dream of.  The
possibility that things may not be going so well in one region, but that we
are still able to recognize and contribute favorably in and from our media
scenario of our own Latin-American reality is an opportunity of today, not
tomorrow, to give you just one example.

The need for rotation mechanisms – regarding sustainability responsibilities
and network dynamism, identification of short and mid-term objectives, as if
to recognize our successes and failures, and the possibility to correct our
course – is still an passionate task, and probably those passionate enough
are more than the ones we have already identified or named.  To join or
multiply are all possible if we take advantage of new technologies, the
amassed knowledge, the things we have learnt, and which we know we should
not repeat, they are all a good start.

Greetings,

Arturo

Arturo E. Bregaglio

Director FM Trinidad 90.1

Itapua and Rio Monday

Asunción – Paraguay

Tel. (595 - 21) 297 806 / 281950
Fax. (595 - 21) 297 806
e: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.fmtrinidad.org.

"Communication is a human right, universal and fundamental.  Words get us
closer, reveal us, develop us and make of us better men and women.
Communications
humanizes us".

*PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.*