Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:15:00 +1000
From:
Ellie Rennie <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
This listserv will be used to facilitate communication among alternative media academics <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Hello Sharon!
I will certainly add your thoughts to the mix, particularly in terms of
thinking about how it translates into the global context. The idea does
rely on existing infrastructure (coordinating bodies), although perhaps
there is a chance that something like AMARC could take it on, which
would raise the international profile of groups, even where their
national regulatory situation is inadequate or repressive.

And it would at least raise global consciousness on the need for
regulation at the national level. I see it as 'branding' an existing
social movement to raise its profile, if that makes sense. Excuse the
corporate-speak!

(I have no idea if AMARC is willing to address issues of media
convergence, however. I am just using them as an example...)

Ellie

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 09/08/08 3:56 PM >>>
Hi Ellie
I understand and appreciate the need for a coordinated community media
network and it would be interesting to see how things develop in
Australia;
I guess the issue for smaller/developing countries (global south) is
first ensuring there are initially positive regulatory frameworks to
enable community broadcasting following common principles;

This would possibly also enable (in smaller media societies) to also
join existing self regulatory structures eg media councils - especially
when there are a few non profits/community media organizations;

This of course assuming we are talking about free and democratic
societies - the fear of course where there is no democracy is we have to
avoid any form of media control eg in Fiji there is the possibility of
the promulgation of a media decree which would set up "control"
measures; however if there are lessons to be learnt, from what you
propose it would be to see how as community media we manage ourselves to
avoid the risks of closure etc

Hope this helps your deliberations
Kind regards as always
Sharon