From:
M C Razmin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M C Razmin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:32:29 +0600
Colombo, 8th of February: The Sri Lanka Development Journalists’ Forum
(SDJF) invites all radio stakeholders to join it in celebrating the first
world radio day – February 13th - proclaimed by UNESCO.  A network of
community broadcasters, working towards community broadcasting for social
development in Sri Lanka, the SDJF, brings together more than 30
broadcasters for the first World Radio Day.

These broadcasters hail from mainstream and community-based radio stations
and include 15 radio practitioners and five former producers who have been
working with community radios from 1980. The highlight of the celebration
will consist in a one-day radio conference on February 13th.

The Information and Communication Technology Agency (ICTA) of Sri Lanka,
the national ICT apex body,   partners with SDJF in organizing the
conference and other World Radio Day events.

During 1979 - 1980 Sri Lanka was the first country to produce a strong
community broadcasting model to the world. It brought out the potential of
radio in catering to the information needs of developing communities.

Unfortunately, the momentum gathered by the development agencies during
this period in utilizing the power of the radio in social development, has
dwindled. This could be attributed to the slackening of interest on the
part of the prime stakeholders. In the backdrop of this, the first World
Radio Day will bring a timely massage for Sri Lanka – strengthen radio
movements and empower the communities.

The objectives of the World Radio Day Conference in Sri Lanka are:  (1)
to discuss about the potential of the World Radio Day, (2) planning  out
and celebrating the  World Radio Day every year and (3) engaging in a
dialogue about the attainment of the radio in Sri Lanka  (4) to get the
radio operators to share their views about what radio meant for them, (5)
Strengthening the SDJF’s community broadcasters’ network in order to
promote  the radio as a powerful tool for social change and  (6) to discuss
the key social issues affecting the radio movements in Sri Lanka.

*
*

*About SDJF*

Sri Lanka Development Journalist Forum (SDJF) is the national platform and
the representative body for Broadcasters who believe that community
empowerment and positive social changes can be achieved through strategic
use of community media – Radio.  SDJF deeply concentrates on the gap
between media and community. SDJF, facilitate quality improvement of  media
outputs to uplift the life standards of the disadvantaged and it encourage
a media culture in which media could lead and facilitate the community
towards development and empowerment. Community media, citizen journalism,
training & research, monitoring & evaluation, and broadcasting for
development are the core programme components, which SDJF has structured to
attain its goals.

*
*

*About ICTA*

The Information and Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka* *(ICTA)
was set up under the Information and Communication Technology Act No. 27 of
2003 of the Government of Sri Lanka. It was further strengthened by its ICT
Amendment Act No.33 of 2008.  Coming under the Ministry of
Telecommunication and Information Technology, functioning under the
Presidential Secretariat it is the apex body responsible for implementing
the ‘e-Sri Lanka’ Development Initiative. ICTA  implements this initiative *
via* a six-pronged strategy which encompasses building the implementation
capacity, building the information infrastructure and an enabling
environment, developing ICT human resources, modernizing the  government
and delivering citizen services, and leveraging ICT for economic and social
development through public-private partnerships.

M C Rasmin

Director/CEO
Sri Lanka Development Journalist Forum (SDJF)
8/5, Liyanage Mawatha, nawala, Ragagiriya
Mobile – +94 773 66 75 30, Office - +941 12 87 70 07
Web – www.ldjf.org , Mail - [log in to unmask]
Skype – mcrasmin

--
M C Rasmin