OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Audra Plummer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Audra Plummer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2019 16:04:15 +0000

5th/8th/11th grade teachers--Would you like to learn strategies to use in the next 10 weeks to help prepare your students for state writing assessments? Come to this conference!
Grade Levels that don't have a writing test--Teachers will learn how their own standards are vertically aligned to impact testing grades.  This conference will be full of practical ideas and discussions to impact the vertical alignments at your school.  Each teacher participant has the opportunity to leave with a strategy to immediately start implementing!

Setting Our Sails on Success Writing Conference:
How to Prepare for Upcoming Writing Assessments And Implement Oklahoma Academic Standards
   - OWP Teacher Consultants will provide authentic student samples to allow participants to use rubrics and demonstrate how rubrics guide instruction.
   - Participants will be exposed to appropriate grade level writing activities that are aligned Oklahoma Academic Standards
   - Presentations will include practical, developmentally appropriate ideas to build writing skills along with writing process
   - Participants will be actively involved and leave with lessons that can be immediately implemented.

SaturdayFebruary 16, 2019Noble Public Schools Pioneer Intermediate School   611 East Ash Street, Noble OK 73068.8:45-11:45 am
 Early Bird Special $40 if registered by February 11, 2019Registration Fee: $50College Students/Interns: $10Administrators: One Administrator may attend for free with 3 site staff member registrations*You can register as PO but do not need to provide PO or PO# until day of conference
Schedule:8:30-9:00 Registration9:00-10:15 Session 110:15-10:30 Break10:30-11:45 Session 2
Conference will need at least 15 registered to hold conferenceNumber of sessions will depend on number of registrantsPlease register TODAY!

Register online at link below:

Setting Our Sails on Success

|    |
Setting Our Sails on Success
 Setting Our Sails on Success: How to prepare for upcoming writing assessments and implementing Oklahoma Academic...  |  |

  Questions Contact: Audra Plummer [log in to unmask]  Quotes from teachers previously:“OWP Sessions help me know how to prepare my students.” “This was the most helpful workshop I attended to know WHAT to do to prepare my students.”“I was so thankful I came to this conference.  WOW! I understand what I need to start implementing.”Upon receiving her class’s state writing scores, a participant emailed, “I received the highest scores at my school and I know it is because I came to this conference.    Sessions Slated at this Time (Number of sessions will depend on number of registrants) Session One:  9:00-10:15  Room 1   “Helping Early Writers to Know the Ropes”  Target Audience 1stand 2ndGradeTamee Daniel, Dale Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant How can we help our early writers become more prepared for the 5th grade writing assessments?  In order to help our students for this future test, we will review 6 traits, state standards and how those align with 5thgrade expectations.  Primary grades are the foundation for writing skills.    Room 2 “Mapping Out the Voyage”  Target Audience 3rdand 4thGradeKim Schooler, NBCT, Norman Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant Consultant Do the  OAS for writing seem as vast as the ocean? As we set sail for hidden treasure (great writing) we first need to map out our voyage.  In this session teachers will dig into the OAS  Writing Rubric. Participants will examine OAS rubric, map out areas of current proficiency within their own teaching, learn to clear the fog and deconstruct the writing prompts, removing fear and keeping the sirens at bay.  Student samples and how to score them will be shared.  Room 3 “Navigating the Waters of Writing Target Audience 5thGradeDeb Wade, Putnam City  Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant  Audra Plummer, OWP Teacher Consultant Keep your students sailing through the writing waters by learning skills that prepare and set the course for success on the upcoming writing test!   You will view student samples and gain insight into the OAS 5thGrade Writing Rubric.    Participants will learn strategies to implement in the next 12 weeks as classrooms prepare for state testing.  Participants will leave with a planning template of how to prepare students.    Room 4 “Charting the Course for the ACT” Target Audience 6th-11thGrade Devin Martinez, Plainview  Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant  Cara Gaddy, Pauls Valley Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant Participants in this workshop will gain confidence and new ideas that put them at the helm to chart success for their students.  Keeping the expectations for 8thgrade writing and for ACT writing,  they will find their bearings in the uncharted waters through student writing samples, writing activities and sharing of ideas.  Session Two:  10:30-11:45  Room 1   “Starting Off on the ‘Write’ Foot” Target Audience 1stand 2ndGradeTamee Daniel, Dale Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant The basis of all education begins with early education teachers.  How can we get to know these students in a meaningful way that also builds classroom community? This workshop will provide teachers with writing activities that will help you get to know your students, what is important to them, and what funds of knowledge they bring with them. We will use multimodal and multigenre writing activities such as two voice poetry, infographics, narrative, and informational writings. Participants will learn to capture student energy in their writing!  Room 2 “Set Sail for Hidden Treasure”  Target Audience 3rdand 4thGradeKim Schooler, NBCT, Norman Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant Your voyage is mapped and you’re ready to begin.  Teachers will set sail for hidden treasure and discover a treasure trove of gems (mini lessons) they can immediately put into place in their classroom to bolster writing instruction. Don’t feel like you have to abandon ship!  From here on out it will be smooth sailing!
Room 3   “On a Quest for Success!”  Target Audience 5thGradeAudra Plummer, OWP Teacher Consultant Teachers will learn ways to help students plan 3 genres of writing prompts for the state writing test.  How to model differences of opinion, informative and narrative.  Which steps of the writing process to use when to help students understand be prepared and confident in April.   Room 4 “Motivating Secondary Writers” Target Audience 6th-11thGrade Devin Martinez, Plainview  Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant  Cara Gaddy, Pauls Valley Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant Participants will learn quick strategies and activities to engage secondary age students in the writing process.  How to connect with students who do NOT want to write?  How can oral lessons and/or group activities  impact writing standards?  Begin to learn everyday writing activities that can impact writing assessments.    Room 5  “Writing in Rough Waters ”   Target Audience 3rd-6th GradeDeb Wade, Putnam City Public Schools, OWP Teacher Consultant  You don't have to jump ship to survive the writing tests and OAS standards.  Informed teachers promote deeper thinking and higher classroom performance.  Participants will learn best practices and instructional strategies for any mode of writing.  Learn how to interpret the writing prompts and navigate  rubrics.  Get your students out of the shallow water into deeper thinking for writing success.