OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:31:12 -0500

Dear OUWP,

Sent my letters.  Got some responses.
I have  advice after thirty years of sending letters on behalf of NWP and over fifty years of sending letters for other issues including thank you letters when legislation passed, etc..  Keep a folder of letters.  In the old days it had to be a hard copy and retyped or rewritten. In a pinch it sure helped not having to start from scratch.  Now we have the luxury of copy and paste.
Worth the extra time. Even when things didn't go my way, I always felt my passion for educational issues, etc. was registered on the larger slate and that empowered me to continue despite terrible disappointments.  Never let these temporary set backs influence how you enjoy your personal classroom whether it is administrative or direct teaching.  Your memories of legislative and societal mishaps will pale in comparison to your personal satisfaction with educational efforts.
Lillian K. Johnson
OWP'81