PDALIST Archives

Group for development of instructional applications for handheld computing.

pdalist@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
"Cacy, Jim R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Group for development of instructional applications for handheld computing." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:29:23 -0500
I'm getting inundated with requests to develop collaborative PDA applications.  Commercial software that can do this is expensive, and with the recent budget cuts there is very little hope there.

I've done some playing with Code Warrior.  It's not terribly complicated to build flat-file database programs with this tool, but the key to collaborative software (multiple users synchronizing to a central database) is in the conduit.  I tried writing some conduits a year or so ago and joined some discussion lists.  I found out real quick that writing conduits with the tools available at that time was pretty tricky, so I backed away from it.  The only thing worse than no software is unreliable software.

But I've been browsing the Palm site, and it looks like they have come up with some tools that may be better than the ones I was using previously.  I'm downloading the kits and setting them up in Code Warrior and Visual Cafe.  I'm just wondering if anyone else is thinking about taking the plunge.

Jim