PURCHASING-L Archives

purchasing-l

PURCHASING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Dew, Gene (HSC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dew, Gene (HSC)
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:12:15 -0600
The purpose of this email is to request and encourage your participation - if not already - in the University's contract with OfficeMax when taking care of your department's need for office supplies.

That contract is available to us via E&I Cooperative, the group purchasing organization (GPO) that serves higher education institutions across the country. Because E&I's processes satisfy the University's requirements for open and fair competition (in fact, our Buyers help E&I conduct many of its bids), we can take advantage of the leverage that E&I contracts provide.

As you probably also know, our previous contract with Corporate Express expired over a year ago. Departments who continue to use Corporate Express essentially overlook Purchasing's work to deliver reliable strategic suppliers under agreements that are specifically structured - and thoroughly reviewed - to serve and protect the interests of the University.

I am against mandating participation in contracts. I believe that the contracts established by Purchasing - and by E&I - should provide value that attracts voluntary participation. Competition being what it is, the supplier who is "outside the fence" will always be able to undercut pricing on specific products, and will often be aggressive in doing so. The fact is, though, that supplier had a fair shot at the overall contract during the competitive process...and did not prevail. Under the professional practice of strategic sourcing, constancy and cooperation between supplier and institution is essential while the agreement is in effect.

Corporate Express has recently been acquired by Staples. There is no agreement between the University and Corporate Express or between the University and Staples.

Please do not hesitate to call or email me for questions, comments, or suggestions.

Thank you,

Burr

Byron Burr Millsap
  Associate Vice President, Administration and Finance
  University of Oklahoma / University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
  660 Parrington Oval
  Norman OK  73019
  O - 405-325-5161
  F - 405-325-7115