PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
canadianokie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:15:42 -0500
UPCOMING MEETINGS

Please check both classrooms, because we just commandeer whichever one is empty.  We could meet in either one.

 Wed. Nov.  10th         5 p.m.   PW Alcoves, 3rd Floor, Gaylord II

PIZZA Please let us know if you’re coming, so we can plan food

Jocelyn:  [log in to unmask]

Nominations  for Officers (2011)

We will nominate at this meeting and then make an absentee ballot—since we can’t all ever get to the same meeting due to class schedule conflicts.   We need to have time to

nominate people, have them accept, and prepare the ballot before the next meeting.

 Mon. Nov. 22 nd         5 p.m.   PW Alcoves, 3rd Floor, Gaylord II

ELECT OFFICERS for next year

Mon. Nov. 29th   5 p.m.   PW Alcoves, 3rd Floor, Gaylord II

Anthology submissions due

PWSA Minutes 10-25-10

Meeting:

10-25-10               5 p.m.        PW Alcoves, Gaylord Hall

 Attendance

__8__  members in attendance

 Announcements and Reminders

·      Brags

·      Prof. Chester sold a short story

·      Jelani Sims  Publishing Night of the Necromanser will out on Kindle soon (w/in 2 weeks)

·      Jocelyn Pedersen will have a story in the upcoming edition of Silk magazine

·      Remember to send brags to DJ Russell for publication on the website [log in to unmask]

·      Send brags to Celia Perkins for publication in the Gaylord Extra [log in to unmask]  or to Courtney Murphy  [log in to unmask] who will coordinate with Celia

October Student of the Month Awards—Congratulations!!

·      Jen Elsner for finishing up the logo work

·      DJ Russell  for excellent work on the Author Interviews.

o   To date, DJ Russell has Martin Williams. Tamar Meyers, JoAnne Flue, Diane Reed, Tess Gerritsen, and a couple others whose name were not available during note taking—DJ can report next time.

Anthology  Report                Editor:  Courtney Murphy  [log in to unmask]

·      Mel Odom wrote a contract so writers will retain the rights to their works published in the anthology.  Thanks, Mel!

 Logo

Mel wrote a contract for the logo donators to sign (gives PWSA right to use logo)  Thanks, Mel!
Win Blevins

·      PW’s new faculty member came to speak to the group

·      Will be teaching a course “Making a Living as a Writer” or “The Business of Professional Writing” JMC 4970/5970 (name of class subject to change)

·      Class will go over contracts (movies, novel, stories, etc.)

·      Ghost Writing, Editing, Entrepreneurial Journalism, Websites (all websites need writers—doesn’t necessarily mean development), Science Writing, etc.

·      Prof. Blevins’ class is now up on OZONE and available for enrollment

Boxes to Collect Books for Needy Kids

·      Helen finished decorating them and they are installed

·      We have some books to send already

·      Jocelyn got boxes from the post office

·      We decided to send books as we get them rather than wait and send them all at once

·      Jocelyn has asked Mel for address information of recipient

Treasurer—Jordan Kopf  [log in to unmask]

·      Several people paid dues—we’ll have pizza again next time

·      Dues $10 cash only

OWFI

·      DJ Suggests that PWSA become a member affiliate of OWFI

·      Everybody loved the idea

Website

·      Perking along.

·      Here’s a link:  http://www.immortals.net/pwsa/

·      People really liked the preview.

·      Please add a link to OWFI

Dean Hockett

·      Streaming audio at Gaylord Hall.  He wants PWSA to be involved.

o   Author interviews (staged w/ real Q/A)

o   Book reviews

o   Book discussion from a technical sense

o   Jamie Krycho is interested

o   Jocelyn Pedersen is interested

o   Mel is helping to organize through his students

Fun ideas for PWSA

·      Field Trip a la  Oklahoma Writer’s Project—Helen DiRenzo Grant—Helen please report

·      No news on this yet