PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Krystal Traywick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:32:45 -0700

Hello All!

I talked to Laura Schaub this morning about the Oklahoma Interscholastic Press Association (OIPA) Conference next month, to see if there was any way a small delegation of PWA members could infiltrate their ranks and use a complex combination of mind control and offerings of chocolate to finagle away some high schoolers into the Professional Writing sequence.  Or something like that, anyway.

The conference is on Monday, October 27.  It will take place primarily in the Union, although if classrooms are available in Copeland, a few information sessions might be there as well.  Registration is at 7:30 and the opening ceremony is at 9, but we don't need to worry about those.  Our focus will be the information sessions taking place from 9:30 to 2:20.

These information sessions are 50 minutes long, taking place every hour on the half-hour and hosting as many students as sign up for them that will fit into the room.  Now, here's the kicker.  This conference is aimed at high school publications, like the student newspaper.  So to get the maximum number of attendees, the sessions should pertain to something that will be useful to them.  This is not a hopeless situation.  There were several suggested session topics that as Professional Writing students, most of us have been exposed to, especially in Writing for Entertainment Media.

Here's the technical stuff.  We are not limited to one information session.  Depending on how many volunteers we get, I think it would be great to do as many as two or three.  The most available time slots are around the noon hour, like 11:30 to 12:20 and 12:30 to 1:20, but this is not mandatory.  Before you volunteer, please remember it's on a Monday, so there will be class, and there is less than a month to prepare the presentations.

If you are interested, or have any further questions, please email me at [log in to unmask]

Krystal, Impromptu Coordinator