PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Mary Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:18:36 -0600
Is this not the same distinction often made between those in the journalism
school (the PW track in particular) and those in the English department
(creative writing)?

I think the rift is very real and we are all aware of it on some base level,
even if we have never thought about it enough to put it into words.  I don't
know if I feel that the system is quite as unfair as Mr. Stephenson
suggests, though that may be because I am in the Beowulf camp.  I think both
types of writers serve a purpose.  Those purposes are very different,
however, so it should be expected that the writers' means of supporting
their craft be different as well.

I like the way he compares university grants with the patronage of old.  I
have often thought life would be so much simpler if I had a patron to
support my work but he raises the point that, were that the case, I would be
writing for that person, rather than appealing to a mass audience.  Such a
task, while intriguing, no doubt, to those in the English department, fills
me with worry.  I don't doubt that literary writers have a passion for their
work, but it is a wholly different type of passion: a whole other beast, as
I am fond of saying.

Stephenson suggests that patrons in the renaissance, and wealthy individuals
today, support artists out of a sort of moral obligation; serving the
greater good.  I believe that literary writers must write (I say must
because I can not speak from experience so I assume) out of a similar sense
of obligation.  They write to better the world, I write to better today.  I
am almost positive that, no matter how famous I become, nobody 100 years
from now will have read any of my work.  But that's okay with me because
that is not my purpose.  In the same way, I doubt the great literary writers
of our time sit in front of their computers wondering how best to entertain
their audience.  They serve a larger purpose.  Maybe the system isn't
completely fair but I don't think it's all that bad either.

~Mary~

PS: I have the funny feeling that I've completely missed the point but
that's never stopped me from putting my two cents in before.  :-)