PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
William Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 12:41:47 -0700
Let me second that.

  Diablo Kody, who just won an Oscar for her debut screenplay, Juno, broke in through the blogosphere.

  It's not the most PC of stories. But, hey, she made it.

  She was a stripper who blogged. A horny agent saw said blog, liked her "voice," and signed her to a book deal. (Let me fling myself into the corner and cry now... okay, I'm back.)

  That book deal gave her the contacts to break into screenwriting.

  Similar stories minus the stripping happen with aspiring filmmakers on youtube. Bloggers get nonfiction book deals. And a few even make 80K just off the ads on their blog.

  I never took his classes, but Mel Odom harps on the need to blog as well... and how that can help you break in, even as a novelist.

  Anyone on the list serv take his classes? What were his suggestions?

  Best,

  Will Prescott

"Amanda T." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Hey all,

At the first day of my internship, I was told an interesting piece of information that I thought I would share with everyone.

FWI: I'm interning at a marketing firm.

  These kinds of places always need content writers! Most firms like having creative content writers because it sets them apart from the competition. They also tell me that it is difficult to find people who truly know how to write well.

My boss asked me if I had a blog. Since I haven't touch my blog(s) in about 2 years, I said no. She instantly encouraged me to keep one. She said that blog postings, as well as blog comments, CAN BE USED IN YOUR PORTFOLIO. Of course, these posts and comments should relate to something other than what you did that day, but it reinforces the importance of blogging. Heck, I spent most of my first day researching HR blogs.

A well-written article, piece of advice, or review, is worth putting in your portfolio, even if it was just published on your blog. Companies research blogs these days.

Basically, my point is....do not underestimate the power of the blog-o-sphere.

Also, seem of you (especially the graduating seniors) should look into content writing jobs in marketing. Most firms want good writers, rather than people who know everything there is to know about marketing.
They can teach you how marketing works, but they can't teach you how to write.

-Amanda

William D. Prescott

University of Oklahoma

office no. 405-325-2710