PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Elizabeth Cabaniss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:30:34 -0800
A brief rundown on the USC MPW program...

a)# of faculty - 28 listed on website, along with their accomplishments
  b)interesting classes - some that caught my attention because they aren't genre related were a Technical Writing class which teaches people how to write those miserably boring instruction manuals and whatnot, and The Literary Marketplace which focuses on editors, agents, adaptations - the business aspects of writing and getting what you've written on the market.  In the cool class group, they offer everything from a Playwrights Workshop to Writing Humor.  Good stuff.
  c)resources - the site doesn't go into whatever software and reference manuals they do or don't have, but there were a couple of things we could learn from.  The easiest to implement would be the 'News and Announcements' web page, where topics of interest specifically to pw students are posted, i.e. job opportunities, speakers, awards, etc.  I'm also listing their 'concentration' system as a resource.  Students must get the majority of their credits in their chosen subject of concentration (non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and drama-tv-cinema).  There are a minimum of 18 credit hours offered that are specific to each of these.

  Here you go, folks.  Hopefully this will help.  Let me know if there's something else that you'd like to see included.

  -Liz