PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Deborah Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:49:08 -0600
I don't know how many of you have ever heard of Andre Norton, or even read her works, but she was one of the masters of science fiction, and influenced many writers, including C.J. Cherryh and myself.  Her novels were my introduction to the genre and why I swiftly grew to love it.

She died at the age of 93 on March 17, following a career of seven decades, with more than 130 novels published.  She was the first woman to win the Nebula Grand Master award.  Starting in 2006, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America will present the Andre Norton Award for young adult novels in conjunction with the Nebula Awards.

If you're curious about her work, look for her earlier titles instead of the most recent, which were often written with collaborators.  No one could blend science fiction with fantasy better than Ms. Norton.

Deborah Chester
Professor
Professional Writing
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019-2051
Ph: (405) 325-4192