PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Kent Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:46:39 -0600
Matthew Buell wrote:

>The books I associate most with second person writing are those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books...

I can see that the "CYOA" type books would be ideally suited for
second-present, since they sort of recreate a text-based video game on
the written page.  In fact, I don't see how they could really be done
any other way.  On the other hand, that supports my contention that
2d-present is limited, in a way, to special niches and experimental
works, doesn't it?

>On to present tense...the latest book I read that had present tense was Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, written in third person present time...

Funny.  I read and really enjoyed Snow Crash several years ago -- and I
couldn't have told you that it was in 3d-present.  Either the book
didn't make as much an impression as I thought, or the voice was so
suited to the story that it didn't/doesn't stand out as unusual.  Hmmm.

So, who's worked with one of the "alternative" person/tense
combinations?  What kind of mental adjustments did you have to make?
 How did it affect the story-telling?

Scribite!
kg