PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Chester, Deborah A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:57:18 +0000
FYI ...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Bosse <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: October 10, 2011 12:09:55 PM CDT
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Write Club Open Mic Reading Series -- of interest to Professional Writing Students!

Dear Professional Writing Students and Faculty:

I work with a student group called Write Club to coordinate creative-writing workshops and an open mic reading series for fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Please see the attached flier for more information about our series. I write today to invite Professional Writing majors to join us for the Write Club Open Mic, in general, and this Thursday in particular.

Novelist Tim Tharp<http://timtharp.com/index.html> will be our featured reader on Thursday. His young-adult novel The Spectacular Now<http://www.amazon.com/Spectacular-Now-Tim-Tharp/dp/0375851798> was a 2008 National Book Award finalist. His previous novel, Knights of the Hill Country<http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Hill-Country-Tim-Tharp/dp/0375836535>, was named among the American Library Association's Best Books of the Year and won the Oklahoma Book Award. You can read more about Tim Tharp and his other books here<http://timtharp.com/bio.html>.

Our open mic series offers Professional Writing students (and others, of course) a chance gather experience reading original work to an audience. We gather every other Thursday at Cafe Plaid<http://www.cafeplaid.com/Cafe_Plaid/Welcome.html>. Sign-up starts at 7:00, and readings begin at 7:15.Our turnout ranges from 35 to 60 people, and we have an enthusiastic audience. Readers can read one or two stories or poems, up to about seven minutes. We have a lot of fun, and it's great practice for those who plan to pursue writing as a career.

Please pass this along. We'd love to see you there on Thursday!

Eric Bosse
Lecturer
Expository Writing Program