CASONLINE-L Archives

CASOnline

CASONLINE-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Gibbs, Laura K." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibbs, Laura K.
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:56:27 -0600
hi folks, this is just a reminder about getting together on Thursday to
talk about "student web publishing" in online courses. we'll look at
three possibilities:

internet-based discussion board (ezboard.com)
Blog-based publishing system (blogger.com)
student websites (using Composer and student webspace)

there are strengths and drawbacks to each approach, and they are suited
to different kinds of activities and teacher preferences. I'll try to do
a comparative features list to distribute as a handout at the meeting.
personally, I rely VERY HEAVILY on student web publishing in my classes;
it is my most important tool for community-building in online courses.

as always, there will be some general discussion too - please bring
ideas, problems, epiphanies!

if you want to look at some materials in advance, you can see our own
OU...Online Blog at work here:
http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/G/Laura.K.Gibbs-1/ouonline/index.html

you can take a look at the webpages my students published this week
(they did practice webpages for the preceding two weeks):
http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043mythfolklore/courseinfo/storybooklinks.h
tm

and if anyone would like a default username/password in order to access
my class EZBoard, please let me know and I'll be glad to share that with
you.

thanks everybody!
Laura