Some of you may be interested in this: http://colab.ic2.utexas.edu/dm/international-school/
Applications are now open for the first International School on Digital Transformation, to be held July 19-24, 2009, at the University of Porto in Porto, Portugal.
The International School on Digital Transformation will be an intensive six-day residential program, conducted in English and bringing together emerging and established scholars and professionals from around the world. During the week-long session, innovators in digital communications will serve as teachers and mentors, presenting their current projects and research and participating in discussions with advanced students and professionals beginning careers in the field. Presenters and students will be regarded as peers during the School.
The School will focus on these themes:
• Democratic transformations of society through digital media
• Innovations in transparency and political participation using new online tools
• Grassroots civic activities using digital technologies
• Building effective communities with the Internet
• Reaching out to new users with mobile and online technologies
• Prospects for digital communication in developing regions
• Digital arts and culture in a globalized, online world
The goals of the International School include:
* Combining lectures on current research and innovation with practical experience, using accessible, low-cost digital technologies
* Providing an informal venue for sharing expertise, perspectives, and best practices and for mentoring advanced students
* Fostering a sustainable network of scholars and activists in the field of digital technology, communication and social change