DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Denise Domizi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:48:10 -0400
Hi folks,
I work at the Center for Teaching and Learning at UGA and we have gone through the course design process with many faculty members now (in-house we affectionally call it, "Finking your course") through workshops and even a week-long Maymester Institute. In the fall I'll be teaching the process to a group of graduate students through a semester-long course.

The question we constantly hear from faculty is, how do we assess for things on the left side of Fink's taxonomy? And what if they don't achieve those goals? ("Do we flunk them if they don't develop caring goals?"). While I am very comfortable with the taxonomy, many faculty we talk to are very unsure of having goals that can not be (in their words) "measured." My impression is that I'm not answering their concerns to their satisfaction because I feel like I still see a hint of doubt in some of their eyes. I'm wondering how others deal with this question.

Thanks,
Denise

~~~
Denise Pinette Domizi, Ph.D.
Associate Coordinator of Faculty and TA Development
Center for Teaching and Learning, North Instructional Plaza
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 - (706) 542-6572
http://www.ctl.uga.edu/