CASONLINE-L Archives

CASOnline

CASONLINE-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Gibbs, Laura K." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibbs, Laura K.
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:22:01 -0600
hi folks, although I was not at the meeting about accessibility last
semester, I wanted to share with you something I just learned about - a
free open-source plug-in to simulate a text-only screen reader. it is
called FANGS, i.e. like JAWS which is the main commercially available
screen reader.

as noted in this blog entry, it has been difficult for developers to see
what their pages look like in JAWS since you cannot get a free copy of
JAWS to use for testing. that is the niche that FANGS is designed to
fill! if you are interested in this kind of thing, please read the blog
post below and visit the standards-schmandards.com website linked there.
they are the developers behind FANGS.

below I've listed simple instructions for installing the extension. once
it is installed you can view any webpage in simulated text-reader mode.

and for what it's worth, I did go to the Disability Services website
here at OU (http://www.sa.ou.edu/ods/), where they have a link on the
front page that says "Improve your own web site's accessibility. Click
here for more information." - I clicked on the link, and alas it did not
work.

anyway, FANGS is the first concrete tool I have had for simulating
accessility issues with my online course materials. I hope maybe you
will find it useful too!

Laura

DOWNLOADING AND INSTRUCTIONS

this is a Mozilla Firefox extension, so if you have not given the
wonderful Mozilla Firefox a try, now is an excuse to do so.

the link for the extension is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fangs

Installation instructions:
Make sure you have Firefox version 1.0 or later (not the preview
release).
Save the Fangs.XPI file to your hard drive.
Open the Fangs.XPI file from Firefox (File menu - Open).
Restart Firefox.
Done. Go to a web page, right-click and select Fangs from the context
menu.