CASONLINE-L Archives

CASOnline

CASONLINE-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Gibbs, Laura K." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibbs, Laura K.
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:50:20 -0500
hi everybody, I hope your semester is going well! I wanted to quickly
share with everybody a new assignment I am using this semester which so
far is having great results (I opened my classes last Monday and almost
all the students chose to get started early).

in the past I've had students do an online course contract with me, but
it was very mechanical and not personalized or individualized in any
way. this semester, I am asking students to do the contract but also to
CHOOSE THREE SUCCESS STRATEGIES that they think will help them do well
in the class and send me back a note about that.

here's the assignment:
http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043mythfolklore/orientation/contract.htm

and here's the list of success strategies I've asked them to look at and
choose from:
http://www.bestmoodle.net/ks/cp/success.htm

I think it's working well since I am getting some very interesting
comments back from the students in response and they are choosing all
different kinds of strategies, based on their own personal
circumstances.

anyway, I wanted to share this since it is a very simple assignment and
is giving great results, helping to turn what was previously an empty
(but necessary) exercise into a much more productive self-examination by
the student and more interesting communication back to me.

plus, it is not really specific to the content of my course at all... so
I'm hoping that if students come up with success strategies for their
online course, it will help them in their regular courses as well!

:)

Laura