OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Todd Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:02:53 -0600
The letter below is from Adam Zlotnick, a researcher from OU who
has attended some of our ISG-LUG meetings.  Can anyone post
here some recommendations for documentations for his
Linux programmer, who is trying for the first time to compile a
Linux program for OS X?  I understand that he does have the
Fink package installed, but don't know if he understands yet
how to use it.  Web links to development sites, etc. would
be appreciated.

Dear Todd,

Thanks for allowing me to put you on the spot yesterday.  The
programmer you talked to, Paul Moisant, is writing code that will
enable use to describe every possible intermediate in the assembly of a
given virus.  The resulting database is expected to have more than half
a million intermediates.  I am hoping to make the best use of my G5 for
these calculations. My hope is that the difficulties are just minor
differences in platform specific syntax that will be relatively easy to
overcome once we know where to look.  Paul is experienced with Red Hat
Linux on a PC, and if need be we can move to one of the Linux boxes
here. But, since neither use Red Hat, I suspect we will run into
alternative incompatabilities.

  Besides the web sites, can you recommend any text that will
specifically address C++ in OSX?

Thanks again.

AZ
  Adam Zlotnick, Ph.D.
  Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center  phone: (405) 271-9030
  Biochemistry and Molecular Biology               fax:     (405)
271-3910
  975 NE 10th St.,   BRC464                                email:
  Oklahoma City, OK  73104
http://w3.ouhsc.edu/biochem/zlotnick.htm