OMRF-ISG Archives

OMRF's Information Support Group

omrf-isg@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
Stuart Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OMRF's Information Support Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:53:30 -0600
Well, I have done a fair bit of porting linux (and other unix) wares to
the OS X with much success. The main things you run into usually are
just some header issues. Like a lot of stuff will include <malloc.h>,
which is not present/needed on X. Then of course you might run into
some issues with the GCC 3.3 version on X, if it was originally
developed with some older GCC 2 version. Usually name spacing issues
and some issues with template based code have been my major stumblers
there. Another issue that might come up would be anything with dynamic
module loading (read dlopen calls). The dlcompat lib is included in the
base panther now I think and in fink so that will make most of those
things work out.

In terms of some documentation a good start is Apple's very own unix
porting guide.
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/
PortingUnix/>. Also then there are the OReilly Mac OS X for unix geek
books. They have a little bit in there on some stuff of compiling
standard unix stuff on X and the issues you might come across, but not
too much if I remember correctly.

I would start with that unix porting guide, then just jump in. It
should all be pretty straight forward. If he has anymore (or more
specific) questions, I am sure I could ramble off more stuff that might
or might not make sense.

Oh, and then/when if he gets it going on the G5, tell him to check out
the CHUD tools (like shark) to profile his app and really tune it for
the G5.

Ok, I think I have wasted enough time with this, but hey it is Friday...

--
Stu