From:
Tanya Notley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tanya Notley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:22:22 +0100
Hello friends,
I hoped the launch of our new website would be of interest to some of
you. Please do forward it on to anyone you think may be interested!
Thanks and warm wishes!
Tanya
---
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
18th June 2010
10 tactics for turning information into action embraced by thousands
of rights advocates
The documentary 10 tactics for turning information into action,
produced by Tactical Tech and launched in December 2009, has been
screened at over 100 events by NGOs, rights advocates and independent
media, reaching 5155 people.
10 Tactics provides original and artful ways for rights advocates to
capture attention and communicate a cause. It includes a 50-minute
film documenting stories from around the world and a set of cards;
with tools, tips and advice, for you to work through as you plan your
own info-activism.
With the launch of a new website this week, 10 Tactics is reaching out
to a wider audience, including groups and areas where language
barriers have previously been a problem. The film can now be watched
online with a choice of 25 language subtitle options including
Russian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, Arabic and Hindi with the
facility for users to create subtitles in their own languages.
Tactical Tech also welcomes those who want to replicate the 10 Tactics
website, with all its content, in their own languages. In fact,
Spanish, Arabic and Burmese versions of the website are on their way.
The project lead, Tanya Notley, said “we have realised the value of
placing inspiration and demystification at the centre of our resources
because this opens up the conversation about how technology can be
used for rights advocacy. This project has now gained momentum as
enthusiastic volunteers have contributed by translating and screening
the film and by hosting discussions and debates around it."
After seeing the film, a group of young climate action activists in
Nepal were inspired to use 10 Tactics to develop new climate
campaigns; in Tijuana the 10 Tactics screening led to discussions with
the Human Rights Commission on how they can support rights violation
monitoring. Executive Director, Stephanie Hankey says; “We are
thrilled with the success of the film and the feedback that we are
getting. This film is really valued for its inspirational effect and
the diversity of seeing so many amazing activists from all over the
world using new technologies to turn information into action. We're
going to continue to support others hosting screenings throughout the
year”.
The 50-minute documentary, and accompanying resource materials,
feature 35 grassroots info-activism stories told by advocates from 24
different countries.
For more information or to view/download/screen the content, visit the
10 Tactics project at www.informationactivism.org/, or email us at [log in to unmask]
.

Dr. Tanya Notley
Info-activism Programme Lead