OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Audra Plummer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Audra Plummer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:39:39 -0700
Don't forget to Register for the OWP "Write to Learn" Back-to-School Drive-In
Conference

Bring a Friend and come for FREE!

Saturday
August 28, 20108:30 a.m. -12:50 p.m.

Cross Timbers Elementary1111 W HighlandTecumseh, Oklahoma 74873

OWP "Write to Learn"
Back-to-School Drive-in Conference
Conference Sessions Listed Below:

> [...]
> This workshop incorporates art and technology to engage learners and help
>develop organized writing.
>

>“NO BONES ABOUT IT- Writing is Fun!!!”
>Susan Phillips, Winding Creek Elementary, Moore Public Schools
>Using a skeleton graphic organizer is a fun and exciting  approach to get young
>writers to write and "put the flesh on the bones."  Participants will leave with
>a new technique for using story elements to aide students when writing their own
>stories, but also when reading stories that others have written.
>
>“Rolling Out the Welcome Mat: Making Life Easier for the English Language
>Learner”
>Darcy Pippins, Norman High School, Norman Public Schools
>Have you had ELL students in your  classroom that you just couldn’t connect
>with? Are you at your wit’s end trying to get them motivated to do anything?
>This workshop will provide you with tools to engage and motivate your students
>and differentiate your curriculum using role-play and vocabulary building
>activities.
>
>“Expository Writing? Why it’s Elementary, My  Dear!”
>Michelle Seybolt, Eisenhower Elementary, Norman Public Schools
>We encounter expository writing everyday: newspapers, articles, directions, etc.
>Students need to be comfortable interacting with and producing pieces of
>expository writing. Using the writing process we can ensure student success with
>expository writing.
>
>“Write What You Know: Motivating the Unmotivated in your Classroom”
>Melanie Vincent, All Saints Catholic School
>Unmotivated students often struggle with writing. It is a challenge for many
>teachers to get these students engaged in the writing process. Activities which
>require students to think and write about their own life experiences have proven
>successful with reluctant writers. This presentation will model such activities
>through the use of student examples and direct instruction. Because students
>enjoy talking and writing about themselves, the activities work well with all
>ability and motivation levels. The use of these writing activities also
>encourages students to engage in higher-level thinking and discussions.
>
>“Research Remix”
>Alison Wilson, Moore West Junior High, Moore Public Schools
>For many students at all levels of education, the research process can be
>daunting. From brainstorming a topic to using research skills that result in a
>synthesized final product, researching is a complex and often overwhelming task.
>Objectives are: 1) to  demonstrate the connection between research and PASS
>objectives, writing skills, and inquiry; 2) to introduce and model a multi-genre
>research project (MGRP) that challenges and motivates students to achieve
>higher-level thinking; and 3) to suggest how an MGRP can be used to engage
>students in content throughout many grade levels and subjects.

May register using link below or go online to http://owp.ou.edu

If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out
online:
https://spreadsheets3.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDhPM0RxY3paN0txTXExdUd4UkVjd0E6MQ

OWP "Write to Learn" Back-to-School Drive-in Conference
August 28, 2010
8:30 a.m. -12:50 p.m.

Cross Timbers Elementary
1111 W Highland
Tecumseh, Oklahoma 74873

Name *

Best email address: *

School District *

School *

School Address *

Grades/Subject Taught *

Payment Option
Register by August 20, 2010 Early Bird Special
	*  No Cost: Bringing a Friend
	*  Individual Rate: $15.00

Payment Option: Bringing a Friend
Please Register Friend too, but put name below so you will not be billed.

Payment Option
Register after August 20, 2010
	*  Individual Rate: $15.00

Send Invoice to: *
Please include name, mailing address and phone number