From:
Anita Fleming-Rife <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anita Fleming-Rife <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:29:28 -0500
        First, thanks Ali for thinking of this wonderful idea.  I am
sure that I am not the only one who would like to discuss research
interests with like-minded people but have few opportunities to do
so--so I really appreciate this opportunity.  Since I am the first, I
am not certain that this is what you had in mind, but here it goes.
        For discussion:

"School Resegregation, Affirmative Action, and the Brown Decision:
Looking Back to See the Future"

        By the time we meet in Kansas City in late July, the Supreme
Court will have decided the fate of affirmative action programs in
our nation's universities.  At the same time, it will be less than a
year from the 50th anniversary of Brown v. The Board of Education,
Topeka --in which the United States Supreme Court decided what is
arguably the most important ruling in America's history. The Brown
decision effectively dismantled the legacy of Jim Crow in every
institution--except its intended, public schools. Even schools that
were successfully desegregated are now re-segregated; today, more
than 70 percent of all African-American children attend schools that
are predominantly black and the majority of these schools have poor
educational resources. This contributes to the growing disparity
between the pool of students eligible for higher education and the
pool of those who are available to compete for places at selective
universities.
        In Georgia, Florida, Texas and California-states that now
prohibit their state universities from considering race as a positive
factor--admissions of African Americans have plummeted.  In Georgia,
there was a 40% decline and in Florida the drop was even greater,
45%.
        Although it has been nearly 50 years since we celebrated the
Brown victory, this is a contemporary issue with public policy
implications.  MAC should be at the forefront of promoting and
facilitating public discourse about this important issue. The panel
that I proposed for this year's convention, "Looking Back to see the
Future: The Press and Brown V. The Board of Education, Part I," is a
starting point for dialogue.  But let's not stop there. We should
discuss relevant research as related to this issue.  I am working on
relevant research projects; I am interested in collaborating with
others.  But I am sure that some of you may have your own research
interests along these lines and may need opportunities for
collaboration as well.  I think that AEJ should consider an issue
dedicated to media coverage of Brown to commemorate the 50th
anniversary of Brown.

--
A. Fleming-Rife, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor