From:
Lee Jolliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Jolliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 07:16:05 -0600
I am so glad for a community of people who know everyone matters. Because unless everyone matters, no one matters.

At my own extremely homogenous, all-white school, people nod and smile and have the best of intentions, but …. just cannot break through to something different. Some of that is money. Small school, low budget, poor support by our upper administration…

Meanwhile, I’ve just been handed two bright shining gems:

First: I get to give a TEDx talk in early April, and I’m talking about self-emancipated slaves. (The bit of history people love to remember is the Underground Railroad. It’s romantic, dashing, provides heroes….) Instead, I hope to open people’s eyes to self-empowerment, to the great, brave people who said no and fled. They hid in swamps without food for weeks, their hair froze, they carried their children in improvised packs. One brave teenager rescued his little brother from a deep swamp in northern Ohio—He dove in not knowing that, up north, there are no alligators and crocs just waiting to strike. I’ll also talk about the ordinary people who helped them—washerwomen and train conductors and turnip farmers, who could lose everything they owned to government seizures for helping. And I’ll close by talking about the vile human trafficking going on now and ask, what will you do?

(Ideas and suggestions welcomed. I want this to be IMPORTANT.)

And second, I was asked to teach a first-year seminar. (Well, frankly, I was required to.) Rather than teach some same-old, same-old class I’ve taught before, I am going with a class on the IOWA CAUCUSES, because the whole damned world is about to descend on little bitty Iowa and Drake is at the epicenter. For this, I am trying to break through into student’s notion of politicians and people who “count” as “old” and white. For speakers, we have….Addisu Demissie (friend from previous campaigning days and Cory Booker’s campaign manager—yay!), two young women from Drake journalism who ran for Iowa house and senate and WON, minority student TV producer at local station who covers national politics, Drake junior who is a director at another station…..and still adding.

Because. Everyone counts, or no one counts. (And weirdly, I learned that saying from a mystery novel.)

Thank you for offering me someone to TALK WITH.

Lee

Lee Jolliffe, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Journalism
108 Meredith Hall