From:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:04:42 -0500
From: Lionel C. Barrow, Jr. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Imus apology too little too late; 'It's time for him to go'

I agree. Imus and McGuirk have to go.

l.c. barrow, jr., ph.d., former dean, School of Communications, Howard
U. and a NABJ member.

>From: NABJ <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: 2007/04/06 Fri PM 06:01:00 CDT
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Imus apology too little too late; 'It's time for him to go'

>        Imus apology too little too late; 'It's time for him to go'
Imus apology too little too late; 'It's time for him to go'

>                WASHINGTON                April 6, 2007            The
National Association of Black Journalists remains outraged after the
racially inflammatory insults made by radio personality Don Imus, even
though the shock jock offered a two-line apology days after he called
members of the Rutgers women's basketball team 'nappy-headed ho's.'

>NABJ is calling for the immediate removal of Imus and his WFAN
producer, Bernard McGuirk - who referred to the players as "jigaboos and
wannabees" - by Monday morning.

>The association also questions if sponsors of his show - which include
the New York Stock Exchange, The New York Times, Simon & Schuster,
Random House and Newsday - will want to continue to be associated with
the program.

>"What he said has deeply hurt too many people - black and white, male
and female," said Bryan Monroe, NABJ president. "His so-called apology
comes two days after the fact, and it is too little, too late."

>Imus has had a history of racial insults on his program, having called
award-winning journalist Gwen Ifill of PBS a "cleaning lady" and
referring to columnist William Rhoden of the New York Times as "a quota
hire."

>"As journalists, we firmly believe in the First Amendment and free
speech," Monroe added. "But free speech comes with responsibility, and
sometimes with consequences. His removal must be that consequence."

>"These were nothing but hard working student athletes - young women,
just trying to do their best. After 40 years on the air, it is clear
that he has lost touch with all that is decent and honorable in
America," said Monroe. "It is time for him to go."

>NABJ appreciates the swift action from NBC and its cable channel MSNBC
in condemning his remarks, and now hopes the network will continue to do
the right thing and separate itself permanently from the incendiary
host.

>On his show at 6 a.m. Friday morning, Imus read the following prepared
statement: "Want to take a moment to apologize for an insensitive and
ill-conceived remark we made the other morning regarding the Rutgers
women's basketball team. It was completely inappropriate, and we can
understand why people were offended. Our characterization was
thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry."

>MSNBC also issued the following statement: "While simulcast by MSNBC,
'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is
produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus  makes clear every day, his views are
not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and
apologize for these offensive comments."
>An advocacy group established in 1975 in Washington, D.C., NABJ is the
largest organization of journalists of color in the nation, with nearly
4,000 members, and provides educational, career development and support
to black journalists worldwide.

>                                               Contact:
Kristin Palmer            Communications Manager
Email:            [log in to unmask]
Phone:            301.445.7100, ext 107

>Forward email
>
>This email was sent to [log in to unmask], by [log in to unmask]
Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(tm) |
Privacy Policy.Powered by
>National Association of Black Journalists | 8701-A Adelphi Road |
Adelphi | MD | 20783