From:
"K. Fearn-Banks" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K. Fearn-Banks
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 13:26:03 -0700
	When Janet Cooke did the exact thing at the Washington Post some
years ago, it was because she was under extreme pressure to produce.
There was a guy on "60 minutes" last Sunday who spoke about the same
pressure.  He knew what would make an exciting story, so he just wrote
his stories in such a way that people would love him and his writing.
	It is true that journalists should not bend to these
pressures.  We cannot accept or excuse these actions.  However, I think we
also need to examine the pressures.  Were they greater for Blair?.
He could be a talented journalist who somehow lost the way.  Sometimes
having somone to talk to would have eliminated some of the pressure
and stress.
	I think this is our problem.