From:
Ilia Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ilia Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:28:30 -0500
Dear MAC members:

Thanks to all of you who expressed interest in attending the social on Friday night. We will meet right after the MAC business meeting to share rides to BB's. If you did not reply to our initial announcement, feel free to join the group on Friday. I hope you can attend our events and celebrate with fellow division members the 40th anniversary of MAC. Below, I am sending a list of MAC-sponsored and CSM panels, luncheons, and meetings by day and time. I hope you can attend our sessions and support our membership.
Will see you in St. Louis,
Ilia

Ilia Rodriguez
MAC HEAD
Associate Professor, University of New Mexico

Wednesday, August 10

8:15 a.m.: Health and Pro-social Communication Issues among Minorities

11:45 a.m.: Sound and Fury: Mediated Racial Discourse and the Case of Shirley Sherrod, USDA's Former Director of Rural Development in Georgia

3:15 p.m.: Anti Immigrant Sentiments and Communication Issues

5:00 p.m.: The Unrelenting Crisis Faced by Journalists and Journalism in Latin America: Views from the Region and Implications for the U.S.

Thursday, August 11

8:15 a.m.: Growing Our Own: How to Promote Diversity in Broadcasting with the FCC's EEO Rules

1:30 p.m.: Scholar-to-Scholar Session

3:15 p.m.: Research Panel: Top Papers in Minorities and Communication

3:15 p.m.: Commission on the Status of Minorities (CSM) panel: "Mainstream Media Coverage of the Islamic Community: 10 Years After 9/11."

8:30 p.m.: Commission on the Status of Minorities, Business Meeting

Friday, August 12

8:15 a.m.: Mentoring Our Next Generations: Learn from Academic, Professional, and
Community Mentorship Programs for Minorities

10:00 a.m. AEJMC General Business Meeting-Presentation of 2011 Barrow Award to Felix Gutierrez for Distinguished Achievement in Diversity Research and Education.

12:15 p.m. MAC/Scholastic Luncheon. Presentation of Robert P. Knight Multicultural Award to Joseph Selden, Penn State. Featured speaker: Felix Gutierrez, recipient of the 2011 Barrow Award for Distinguished Achievement in Diversity Research and Education. Location: Wyndham Roberts Mayfair Hotel (across from the convention site). Pre-registration required.

3:30 p.m. MAC 40th Anniversary Roundtable: State of the Discipline

7:00 p.m. MAC Members Meeting

9:00 p.m. MAC Social at BB's Jazz, Blues and Soups at 700 South Broadway (5-minute ride from hotel)

Saturday, August 12

8:15 a.m. Media, Minorities, and Cross-Cultural Communication Issues

10:00 a.m. Radical Ethnic, Foreign-Language, and Labor Media in the Media Ecology of their Times

11:45 a.m. Racial Discourses in News Media