From:
Paul Niwa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Niwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:04:24 -0400
Business journalism is so broad that I have found that students tend to get lost without a strong focus.  My course  looks at finance and personal finance reporting.  In a semester-long course, I use Get a Financial Life by Beth Kobliner for personal finance, Show me the Money by Chris Roush for basic eocnomics and finance reporting, and Understanding Financial Statements: a journalists guide by Jay Tapinger for financial analysis. I use wsj.com to integrate the news into class discussions and to manage a stock portfolio assignment.  I also pull a chapter on the political economy from Terri Tompson's Writing Business News.

Paul Niwa
Emerson College