From:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:32:05 -0500
Dear MAC Members,

Thanks to all of you who've gotten back with me so soon about to  request info about being guest experts on an upcoming Tavis Smiley Radio Talk (NPR).

I decided that it's best to just send everyone the info up front  (see details below) to save time by avoiding having to respond to your requests one-by-one as they trickle in.

When you send me an email, please put specific info in the heading about the message's content (e.g., "Please send Tavis Smiley info").  I am bombarded with virus infected messages everyday in my two of my three accounts and have discontinued opening any message that does not look legitimate or is unrecognizable. After I open your message, I'll send you a reply receipt.

Again, below are the guidelines or specs for potential guests. After reading the list and you find that you're still interested, then please send me your info. I will then compile everyone's responses and bios and send one master list to Tony.  Thanks Lillie

From Tony Cox:

Here's what we need for expert guests on The Tavis Smiley Show.
1) Guests should have a specific expertise relative to the topic being discussed. e.g., media history, fcc regulation, gender issues in media,etc. The list is limitless.
2) It is preferred that they have prior on-air experience, but not
mandatory. During an on-air interview, answers should be consise, to the point and authoritative.
3) Because our show is live from 6:00am to 7:00am pacific time, guests need to be available via studio or landline during those hours for live broadcasts.
4) Pre-taped interviews for future shows are done during various times of the day, but not generally any later than 3:00pm pacific time. 5) During live segements, there are usually multiple guests (2) and these guests often represent divergent, even opposing points of view. While not a debate, per se, this format allows for cross discussion. Guests should be prepared appropriately.
6) The interview segments can run from 3 and a half minutes to 11 minutes long, depending on the subject matter. There are occasions when interviews run longer than 11 minutes, but again, that depends on the circumstances and the subject matter. Guests are expected to be in place at least 15 minutes before scheuled air/interview time.
7) Guests must be articulate. That simply means we must be able to
understand what you are saying and you must speak clearly.
8) Credentials are required. A bio of an unknown guest will be requested in advance of the interview.
9) interview guests are not compensated.
10) The Tavis Smiley Show is seen in more than 60 markets nationwide at National Public Radio stations. The show airs at different times of the day in different markets.